Sunday, May 19, 2013

New Hedgewater Episode and a tiny moment from my day...

Hey everyone!  I just put a new Hedgewater Episode up on the other blog.  I hope you guys are enjoying  reading it as much as I am writing it.  Here's the link for the new episode > Paging Dr. Foster

Now that I've shared that, I wanted to share a little moment from day with you. I'll leave you with this and I hope you guys have a great week.  I'll be up in the wilderness until Wednesday, surrounded by the woods, bugs, and my friends.  We're participating in a geocaching event.  If you don't know what that is then google it.  Or visit www.Geocaching.com  It's seriously awesome and something cool to do with your friends this summer.

Onto the mini-story that I copied from my earlier Facebook post.  Sorry about the copy/paste mess.  :)  Enjoy. *hugs*

~xX Night


Why I love my profession:

Sundays are super busy at the salon because we're the only place open in the area. We had a ton of appointments this afternoon, plus walk-ins, and the lobby was packed to the max. My boss told me to go on break and get something to eat before the madness began again. While everyone else was busy, I walked up to the front desk to check my appointments for the rest of the day. The receptionist was telling a woman she couldn't get in at the moment because we were full.

She looked exhausted. I could tell she was sad, but trying to keep it together. Something told me to nix lunch and take care of her. So, I pulled her aside and told her I would do her nails. She was a little taken aback and mentioned she'd heard it was my break; that I didn't have to do that for her. But I'm stubborn and told her she was getting her nails done today, whether she liked it or not. 

She's quiet throughout the entire service. I get a bit nervous. Silence isn't something I'm accustomed to. When I'm done, I take her bill and get her settled up front to dry her toes. I lean down, put my hand on her shoulder, and say, "I hope you have a good day. Enjoy the sunshine for me."

She smiles and nods then turns away. At this point my boss forces me to take a lunch. "No more strays," he says. I laugh and go eat my lunch.

A few minutes later my boss comes into the break room with my client. He shuts the door and leaves her there. I'm like...okayyyy. She leans down, puts her hand on my shoulder and says, "I went to another salon today before I came here. They didn't take care of me because they were too busy, and they didn't even look at me twice. I wanted to thank you for giving up your time like that. I'm sorry I didn't seem very appreciative," she tears up, "but I lost my husband yesterday. I needed some time away from my kids and I wanted to feel pretty because he's not around anymore to remind me I am."

She slips a hundred dollar bill in front of me. "This is for you because you're beautiful, too."

She leaves out the back entrance without another word. I think I cried for a good twenty minutes. It's moments like this that remind me why I went into the beauty industry. It's not just to make people look good on the outside. It's to make them feel beautiful inside, too.

5 comments:

  1. Awwwww....sometimes people just need thet little something. Glad you were able to give it to her right when she needed it. Enjoy your wilderness time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Night, you are a beautiful person! I truly hope that Karma takes notice of the good you do for others, and takes an active hand in returning that good back to you! Luv ya Night!
    Scottie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That story just made my day. Thanks for being so awesome, Night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *sob*. --Geemeedee

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how little graces can affect others so profoundly. You never know when you're helping someone beyond the obvious.

    You'll never forget that moment. It brought a tear to my eye too. You're amazing even if you don't know it. :)

    ReplyDelete