Sunday, July 21, 2013

A Dose of Dark & Twisty: Disturbed Fate Book Tour with author Kia Zi Shiru


Hey everyone!  Today I have a real treat in store for you.   Kia Zi Shiru, author of YA and GLBT fiction, is back in the house with her latest release, Disturbed Fate, and she also brought a guest with her.  Marc, from the first book in Kia’s Otherkin Spirits Series, is a Seer with the power to see the future.  So let’s see what he had to say when I sat down for a personal interview with him.



Blurb:


Marc, a small pet shop owner and seer, needs help with his store, but his new employee, Galen, brings with him more trouble than expected. Marc tries to keep their relationship professional even if Galen seems insistent on taking it to the next level. And then there is the problem of Galen’s past.


Keiran, a hard working medical student and Marc’s best friend, has a small problem, a stalker. One night he confronts the guy and finds in his stalker vampire, Devlan, is too alluring to turn down. But Devlan isn’t who he seems to be.


When the four men meet up for a night out their lives fall apart. Marc’s premonitions are wrong and everything points towards one autumn night a couple of years ago. Now they need to figure out what happened that night, before someone dies, again.


Time is running out. The visions might be false, but they don’t paint a pretty picture, not about their futures and, especially, not about their pasts. They need to reverse the change before it is too late.

 ***

Hey Marc, thanks so much for coming by the blog today!


So when did you first know you were into men?


I was probably around... Hmmm, I must have been eleven or twelve. I just went to highschool and one of the guys in my class... yeah, that was when I realised I wanted guys, not girls.


Does being gay affect your place in the paranormal community?  And if so, how?


Not really, though with people who drink blood and stuff, being gay can be an extra obstacle. HIV and AIDS and stuff like that. They always look at you wearily when you offer to be a blood donor for them. Which can be friggin’ annoying.  But usually... normally it doesn’t matter much.


What was life like growing up as a Seer?


Interesting. My parents found out early on that my dreams actually happened and they guided me when I was young, helping me catalogue things that I saw and things like that. Later I went to a teacher who taught me not just about what I could see but also what things meant and how I could use clues in the dreams to actually date when the premonitions would take place.

In normal life it didn’t impact much, especially since I didn’t really know most people that I had premonitions of.


What do you want to do as a Seer?  Your ultimate goal, I mean.


Survive, live. As a seer I can’t decide what I want to see. I only see what the higher powers care to show me. My ultimate goal, I guess, is living the final fate that has been set out for us. It’s not easy, since I won’t know when that happens or not.


Why do you own a pet store?  There must be a story behind that.


My dad own a company that designs and supplies instruments for hospitals. He has always told me that if I want to get somewhere in life I need to know how to run a company. So I opened a pet store. I love pets and I always wanted to do something that involved animals.


What's one embarrassing thing about yourself that you wouldn't share with anyone but me?  Because, come on, who am I going to tell? ;)


Ahhhh, my dad thinks that this company is just me training to become his successor, but I’m not going to get into hospital business. I actually want to grow the company and then study so that I one day have my own pet supply brand.

But, you know, that is not something most guys would want.


What's it like having a vampire as your best friend?  That's got to be interesting!


Keiran? Well, not sure if it’s his vampire side that makes him that interesting. But he is definitely an odd person. But over all, he is not that different from me. Unless it’s his taste in guys... he has a seriously weird taste in guys. Always so... demanding. But I guess that is what he likes.


And finally, tell me a little about dating Galen.  A magician and a seer?  Talk about sparks flying...


Sparks are definitely flying. He is such a little tease. At first I didn’t really want to pursue him, you know, him being my employee and all. But now, I’m not letting him go. He is just too cute and usually he doesn’t even realise it.  He has this way that he talks to his cat Snow that is too cute. She really is his little baby and he carries her around everywhere.  Sometimes I just want to pick him up and carry him around too.


Thanks so much for talking with me, Marc.  It was a pleasure.  And you too, Kia.  Thank you for bringing Marc along this trip.  Now sit back, my hungry readers, and enjoy the low down on Disturbed Fate. 



Excerpt from Disturbed Fate:


Marc turned and was faced with Galen taking off his sweater. Now that the guy only wore a shirt he realised how thin he really was. He felt a tug in the pit of his stomach. This guy could be beautiful with a bit more meat on his bones and some sun on his face.


“Do you want something to snack on with your beer? I think I’ve got some crisps in a cupboard.” Marc put the beers on the table and turned around, back to the kitchen.


“I’m not hungry. Really. I’m just this thin naturally, no amount of food will change that. Trust me, I’ve tried,” Galen called after him.


Marc turned around, opening his mouth to speak.


“No. No excuses. I know you were looking at me. I really don’t need anything to eat. Though something to open my beer with would be nice though.” Galen held out his beer to Marc.


Marc pulled an opener from his jeans, opened the beer and gave Galen back the bottle. Their eyes connected for a moment before Galen looked away.


Marc got that distinct feeling again that he had met this guy before somewhere. He shook his head and turned on the TV. Not that there would be anything interesting on this time of the night, but it was a nice way not to make all this too awkward. At least it would distract him from staring too much at the guy next to him.


He should meet up with Keiran soon and go clubbing together again. It had been so busy lately that they hadn’t been out much and he could feel the effects. Being single and not getting laid was harmful with such a gorgeous guy working for him. But it was also bad to do anything with this guy. Marc was his boss!


“You mind if we don’t watch this?” Galen pulled his attention back to the screen.


Marc looked at the TV and quickly turned it to a music channel. It had been pink, too much pink, probably some chick flick. Not the best thing to watch when you were drinking.


“You have a problem with rock music? I’m not one for these crappy pop songs.” Marc nodded to the channel they were now watching.


Galen shook his head as he took another sip. Some beer leaked down the side of this mouth and as he lowered the bottle he kept it to his mouth. When it was back upright he let go of the top and licked the rim.


Marc was staring blatantly, forgetting about changing the channel.


Galen looked at him. “Something wrong? You seem to be distracted by something.”


Marc shook his head, reached out and wiped at the spilled beer on Galen’s cheek before he moved his hand back and licked the beer from his finger.


Galen stared at him, mouth slightly open before he swallowed, quickly looking at the TV.


Marc blinked quickly, trying to get rid of the fuzziness. He took another sip of his beer before he changed the channel. They both kept their eyes on the TV, sipping their beer, the only words spoken questions about more beer or comments on crappy bands.


Disturbed Fate Buy Links:



About Kia Zi Shiru:


Kia Zi Shiru is a Dutch girl who did her bachelor studying English and Creative Writing in the UK but has now returned to the Netherlands to do her masters. Amongst her interests she finds writing, reading, doing research and learning different languages (including but not limited to: English, Dutch,French, German, HTML, Java, PHP and Assembly). Her writing and reading habits include books with Young Adults, gay themes, strong female or minority characters and fantasy elements (more often than not all at the same time).


You can find her at:





And if you want to keep up to date you can sign up for my newsletter here: http://eepurl.com/vvShb


Thanks for stopping by everyone.  Have a great day.  Thanks to Kia and Marc for the visit. It was nice to have you both.

~Night

No comments:

Post a Comment